Thursday 6 November 2014

Chill - Snippet from a longer narrative

A short descriptive piece which will become part of a longer narrative in the future. (Hopefully) 

Biting cold, the bitter chill of early February. A time usually reserved for happy faces faces among parents with Valentine's day just around the corner and the recovery from Christmas expenditure, and weight gain, on it's way out. On our way from thirteen May Avenue. I never believed in superstition, but I was starting to think there nigh be something to it. The 'new' car my Mum had just bought for her new job. There was meant to be a heating system but coats were still needed inside even on warmer days. Despite the cold, were you to look towards the skies you might be fooled into thinking that a coat was not a necessity. You would be wrong, mislead and fought by the cold. Finding yourself among the unfortunate many that fall ill in these conditions. We pulled in, still yet to park, never an easy task for Mum but under the conditions she was finding it more difficult that usual. She crept slowly, both of us awaiting in silence to get this done and find out the results. Silence struck. The radio, which had been a great distraction to myself apparently was not having the same effect on my Mum. Stepping out of the car it felt warmer outside than in the car. That thought was removed by the wind which bludgeoned into my face forcing me backwards. Shutting my eyes to make sure they weren't forced into my head. I was then warmed by the arm across my shoulders, I looked up smiling. She was doing the same and probably for the same reason. Not because we were happy but because we both knew that the other needed the reassurance that everything would be okay.
The doors slid open and just as the biting cold removed it's teeth from my neck I was hit. The smell of death, a mix of chicken that has been left for too long and sewage. As soon as I entered I felt weak and ill. My eyes fluttered and began to role up into my head, I almost fell onto the man who entered next to me. Regaining my balance I stood swaying in the entrance, the smell had left and I was enjoying the warmth. A warmth that didn't help the smell which had now returned on my in breath. I almost fell again; blood festering in hidden corners and the mask of overused cleaning product. The more detail of this smell I got only made it worse. I felt more ill entering than I ever did leaving, a horrific irony upon entering a hospital. I held my breath, I never wanted to smell anything again. I couldn't hold it longer, I inhaled, this time through my mouth and now I could taste the putrid odour.
I can't remember much after that, the next thing I knew I was in a wheel chair being taken up in a lift. I don't remember the rest of the journey in the lift, I never did do well in enclosed spaces.

When I finally came round properly, I was entering his private room. The first thing I saw was his arm. I was eleven at the time and beginning to learn more about the world. Fractions, tectonic plates and the rise and fall of Rome. The hardest lesson I learnt that year was that, my Dad wasn't the pillar of strength I saw him as. He wasn't invincible.
Tubes we stuck under his flesh and the beeping from the machines pierced my now alert ears. He had markings all over his arms, the doctor a Dr Shaw, told us that this was so they could see how the swelling on his arm was reacting to the treatment. I checked again. The bright red mass was protruding well over the markings, surely not a good sign. We walked into the room. As the door clicked into place behind use his body shifted. Eyes flickering and his body being jolted into consciousness. Hairs began to stand on end as the cold, blew past his now aware body and the pain again became apparent to him. Mum rushed straight to his side placing a hand on his forehead and looking into his eyes, the corner of his mouth lifted and it wasn't easy for him to do so. I was now stood as the nurse that helped me to the room didn't think it was needed any longer as I was feeling much better, or so I said. I knew I wouldn't be right until I left, it was the same with any medical place.

I stood watching the two heroes of my reduced to tears, I didn't know what to do I just stood and watched. What could I do now? I'm not sure asking Mum and Dad would help in this situation.

Hope you enjoyed let me know what you think 

No comments:

Post a Comment